Want to own a grocery store with your friends?
Join over 4,000 of your friends & neighbors in co-owning the Viroqua Food Co+op!
Here are the ways you benefit from becoming a Viroqua Food Co+op Owner:
- Receive bonus coupons when you join, plus a free gift if you pay in full.
- Discounts exclusive to Owners.
- Special order discounts of 10% off retail case price when you order by the case.
- Discount on food and cooking oriented Driftless Folk School classes. Look up specific classes here and utilize your owner number when you see the VFC coupon below the registration information.
- Participate in co-op governance, elect annual Board Directors or run for an open seat on the Board.
- Earn a Patronage Refund in profitable years when declared by the VFC Board of Directors.
- Be actively involved in the economic development of your community through supporting local farmers and food producers.
- Receive the Pea Soup 20-page quarterly newsletter (online reader).
- Shape the future of VFC by attending the Annual Owners Meeting and participating in focus groups and surveys.
- Vote for your favorite local nonprofit organization (NPO) to be a recipient of VFC’s Give Where You Live/"Round Up" Community Donations Program.
How Do I Become an Owner?
1) Fill out an owner application
- Fill out an owner application available at any register in the store, OR
- Apply online by filling out the PayPal form on the righthand side of this webpage.
2) Pick a payment option
- Pay in full and receive a free gift!
- $75 for a 1-adult household
- $150 for a 2-adult household
- Begin with an initial payment of $25 (1-adult household) or $50 (2-adult household) to be paid in full within one year.
- Benefits begin upon the first investment.
- Once you are paid in full, that's it. There are no yearly renewal fees!
3) Receive your new owner packet
- Packet contains new owner card and bonus coupons exclusive to new owners.
4) Begin shopping
- Always provide your owner number to cashier upon each purchase so they can be applied toward any potential Patronage Refunds.
5) Provide us with updated information
- If you move, change your name, or have a change in household members – be sure to update our records so we can stay in touch with you!
What's the difference between Class A and Class B stock?
With each membership comes shares of Class A & Class B stock!
Your ownership contributes to the Co-op’s capital.
Each adult membership is $75 in VFC stock. This goes towards 1 share of $25 Class B voting stock and 2 shares of $25 Class A stock – all of which is refundable. A 2-adult household would then purchase 2 shares of $25 Class B voting stock and 4 shares of $25 Class A stock.
Two Class A shares must be purchased in addition to the initial Class B stock in order to complete the membership payments for a single equity membership. Check out the Equity Withdrawal Forms by clicking here.
Why does my initial $25 go toward Class B stock first?
This $25 share is the first share purchased by new owners. It gives you immediate membership and voting rights! In order to keep these rights active, the total of $75/owner must be paid in full within 1 year.