Prep time: 1 hour; 30 minutes active
The High Five (Ingredients)
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 pound part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 stalk broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups thick spaghetti sauce
Pantry & Kitchen Items
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 400ºF. Drizzle olive oil in a 2-quart baking dish and tilt dish until the bottom has been evenly coated. Set aside.
2. Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water, then place on the stove over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, then check the tenderness of the potatoes by piercing with a paring knife. When they are tender but not falling apart, remove from heat and drain. When cool enough to handle, slice potatoes into 1⁄3-inch thick rounds.
3. Line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of paper towels, place over a bowl, and dollop the ricotta on the paper towels. Gently pat the cheese and let stand to drain off as much liquid as possible, at least 20 minutes. Scrape the cheese into a medium bowl and stir in 1⁄2 cup of the Parmesan.
4. Assemble the casserole: Place a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom of the prepared pan. Dollop the ricotta mixture over the potatoes and spread to make an even layer. Sprinkle the broccoli over the ricotta and press gently to make a level surface. Cover the broccoli and ricotta with the remaining potato slices, then top with spaghetti sauce and spread evenly. Cover the sauce with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake lasagna, uncovered, for 30 minutes. The sauce will be bubbling vigorously around the edges and the cheese will be golden brown. Let stand 5–10 minutes before slicing.