Curious as to how you will cater to all that company coming? Looking to make a big meal on a small budget with little time to spare? Try our One-pan Rosemary Pepper Roast Recipe with staple items already in your refrigerator or always in stock at the Co-op.
During this holiday season, not only will you leave the whole family well fed, but they will also be leaving compliments for the chef!
One-pan Rosemary Pepper Roast
Serves: 6-8. Prep time: 15-20 mins. Cook time: 75-90 mins.
1 2-3 lb. grassfed beef roast (rump roast used in this recipe)
1 white onion, cut into moon wedges
1 head celery (~8 stalks), each cut into 2-3 pcs.
1 2 lb. bag carrots (~10 qty.), halved long way
2 heads garlic (~10-14 cloves), ½ slivered, ½ roughly chopped
2 lbs. potatoes (~8 qty.), cut into moon wedges
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or to taste), chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or to taste), chopped
1 pint beef broth (or quart; use extra for stew)
2 Tbsp. miso &/or soy sauce (to taste)
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 550°F for initial broil. Line pan with prepped veggies. Drizzle olive oil, salt & pepper & toss until coated.
- Grind generous amount of pepper with hint of salt & coat all sides of meat. Use knife to create slits in top of meat then insert slivers of garlic.
- Coat top & sides of meat with chopped herbs (utilize as much/little as preferred).
- In spouted cup, mix beef broth, rest of garlic, plus miso, soy sauce, more herbs, salt & pepper to taste. Pour just enough over meat to coat, plus just enough over veggies that pan has thin layer of juice on bottom.
- Broil for 12-15 mins. at 550°F or until glistening brown. Turn down to 325°F. Cook for additional 50-75 mins.
- To ensure meat stays moist: check for doneness by cutting into meat once, inspect that spot every 15-20 mins., then close up & reset timer for another 15-20 mins. Each time, pour minimal broth over meat; sample veggies to check for doneness.
- If med-rare is preferred, remove roast from pan when internal temp. is ~130°F, OR when middle of roast is still quite pink. If med-well preferred, cook until temp. is ~150°F, OR when middle is barely pink. NOTE: meat continues to cook for 10-15 mins. after removed from heat! After removing from heat, do not cut & allow to rest on platter/cutting board with grooves for 15-30 mins. as this yields juicier roast.
- Once veggies are at preferred doneness, remove from oven. Arrange on serving platter then place roast on top. Garnish, slice, & serve.