Local carrots are still available, and what better way to celebrate them than with carrot cake! This is one of my favorite desserts and it is a total crowd-pleaser. Plus, it is perfect for those on gluten-free or grain-free diets, but everyone loves it of course.
The carrots lend a natural sweetness, as well as a healthy dose of fiber and beta-carotene, a potent anti-oxidant. So grab some local, organic carrots and get baking!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9” round cake pan.
- In large bowl, combine almond & coconut flours, salt, spices & baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Create a well in center of dry ingredients. Add eggs, vanilla, orange zest & juice, along with maple syrup into center. Stir to incorporate wet & dry ingredients together until just mixed.
- Add carrots, raisins, coconut & walnuts. Stir well to evenly distribute throughout batter. Pour cake batter into prepared pan & spread to create even surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Cake is done when lightly-browned on top & inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean. Be careful not to overcook as this will dry out cake.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together butter & cream cheese until fluffy & smooth.
- Add in vanilla, maple syrup, orange zest & juice. Mix with strong fork or electric beaters until all ingredients are well combined & frosting is creamy.
- Spread evenly on top of cooled cake.
- Garnish with extra chopped walnuts & serve.