Crockpot Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Serves: 4-6. Prep time: 15 minutes active; 7 hours, 15 minutes total.
1 cup dried kidney beans
5 cups water
1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
1 bunch collard greens, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a pot of water to boiling, add kidney beans and boil beans for ten minutes. Drain beans.
- Combine 5 cups water, drained kidney beans, brown rice, bell pepper, carrot and Cajun seasoning in a slow cooker. Cover and set on low, and cook for 6 hours.
- Open the cooker, add the collard greens and salt, and stir. Cover and cook for another hour.
- When the beans are tender, serve or transfer to containers to refrigerate or freeze.
- This New Orleans classic is incredibly easy to prepare in a slow cooker. Try it as a side dish to roasted chicken, or as an entree with a slice of cornbread.
- If you don't have cajun seasoning, it is a combination of a few spices you likely have in your pantry already. You can make it to your own taste preference by combining any/all of the following: cayenne, paprika, salt & black pepper, garlic and onion powder or granules, dried oregano, and dried thyme.