Greek Lamb with Wet Rub
Prep Time: 10-15mins
Cook Time: ~3-3.5hrs
1 3 to 4
lb. lamb shoulder roast
4 Tbsp fresh rosemary
4 Tbsp fresh oregano
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
3 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
⅓ cup olive oil
Zest of 1 whole lemon
Juice of ½ lemon (reserve other ½ for yogurt herb side sauce)
- Place all ingredients into food processor and blend until rosemary is well-minced and mixture comes together.
- Rub mixture on all sides of roast, then marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove lamb from refrigerator and bring to room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place lamb in roasting pan with roasting rack in bottom of pan. Cover with tightly sealed foil.
- Roast in oven at 325º for 3-3½ hours or until internal temperature reaches 170º.
- Remove from oven. Let rest for 5 minutes before carving.
Yogurt Herb Side Sauce
Prep Time: 10-15mins.
Store up to 1wk. in refrigerator
This sauce can be made while lamb is in oven!
1 cup greek yogurt
2 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
4 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
Juice from ½ of reserved lemon
Salt & black pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl
- Set aside for minimum 1 hour, up to 3 hours, to allow flavors to develop.
For dinner, this lamb and side sauce serves well with roasted potatoes tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper, and a little oregano.
Additionally, try the leftover lamb and sauce on grilled flatbread for lunch the next day.