Broccoli & Cheddar Rice Casserole
Prep time: 55 minutes; 25 minutes active
The High Five (Ingredients)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
1. Heat the oven to 375ºF and lightly oil a 2-quart baking dish.
2. In a 1-quart pot, bring the water to a boil and add the basmati rice and half of the salt. Return to a boil, cover tightly, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Take off the heat, fluff and let stand for 5 minutes, then scrape into the prepared baking dish in a pile to cool.
3. In a small saucepan, whisk the flour and milk and place over medium heat. Whisk until the milk starts to boil and thicken slightly, take off the heat and pour over the rice.
4. Sprinkle in all but half a cup of the cheese and add the broccoli, then stir to combine. Pat the mixture flat with the back of your spoon and top with the remaining cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and melty. Serve warm.