For some of us, it’s our favorite time of the year. Autumn is here and it is time to reap the bounties of our hard work and pile up the harvest. Loads of local organic produce is on the shelves at the Co-op, including my favorite: squash. All the beautiful colors and shapes are a reminder of the wonderful diversity that is welcomed at our Co-op. What a blessing it is to live in an area of such abundance. The P6 Program continues to grow, with the VFC as a core participant. August was P6 Month. With chances to meet local producers during the scheduled tastings through the month, what a great opportunity that was to meet our P6 Producers and taste their local P6 products!
The Board of Directors continues its hard work and training to make the best guiding decisions for the VFC Management. Monthly Ends policy review, financial performance monitoring, and reports of store activity by the GM are just a few of the items the Board of Directors undertake each month. The Board will be holding their annual Board Retreat this fall, in which they will cover many important and strategic topics. The all-day session will be facilitated by the VFC’s CBLD (Cooperative Board Leadership Development) Consultant.
As the Board continues to explore its options of a store expansion, staying true to our mission and receiving feedback from the ownership is important. As always, we welcome your input at any time, and guests are welcome at Board meetings with advance notice. Please feel free to contact a VFC Board Member or a VFC Manager with your thoughts or comments at any time. As we move into a new chapter for our store, developing our vision for the future is very important. No quick moves will be made, and rest assured many hours of planning will be done before any big decision is made.
The VFC’s Board Election will be held from September 8 - October 8. There are five candidates running for three seats. Please take the time to review each of the candidate’s profiles and most importantly, please take the time to Vote! Click here for more details. Thanks to all those who made the VFC’s 20th Anniversary Party a success! Without you, the owners, there’s no way we would have made it 20 years. Cheers to the next 20 years, and the next chapter in the VFC’s history book. Let’s keep building our community!
Luke Zigovits, Treasurer VFC Board of Directors
Here’s a highlighted summary of the June and July VFC Board meetings.
Further details may be found within the regular Board Meeting Minutes located here.
Board Meeting – June 17, 2015
- Monitored Financial Planning & Budgeting, Compensation & Benefits, and GM Personnel Policies for compliance with VFC Policy Governance.
- Redeemed Class C stock per member request.
- Tentatively scheduled Fall Board Retreat for November 2015.
- Reviewed preliminary site plans from Development Co-op consultant.
- Continued discussion and visioning regarding future expansion plans.
Board Meeting – July 15, 2015
- Discussed GM & Board Member Meeting with Viroqua Mayor, City Administrator, and City Engineer in June 2015 regarding preliminary site plans for expansion.
- Reviewed expansion timeline provided by NCG Development Co-op consultant.
- New Board Member Orientation completed for Eric Newman. Reviewed slate of candidates for Fall 2015 Board Election.
- Discussed Article V changes for increasing Class C shares on Fall 2015 ballot.
- Enjoyed good fellowship among Board members - Annual Board Summer Picnic hosted by Christie and Larry Homstad.