This winter Viroqua Food Co-op is excited to offer a number of opportunities for our community to learn more about the impact of sugar in our society, cooperatives, and GMOs! During the winter months, we’re hosting FREE public screenings of three important documentaries at The Ark, 401 E. Jefferson Street, in Viroqua. We welcome you and your loved ones to join us to view the films while enjoying organic popcorn provided by VFC.Read More
Viroqua Food Co+op Blog
Celebrate Spring with Local and Cooperative Producers
Saturday, March 21, 10am to 2pm Are you interested in meeting some of the wonderful local, co-op, and small producers that supply the VFC with great Principle Six (P6) foods and products? Join us for our 3rd Annual P6 Producers Tailgate Party on Saturday, March 21.
For the Tailgate Party, we’re setting up a big heated tent in our parking lot that will have a variety of P6 producers sampling the foods they grow and products they produce. Enter to win a P6 product prize basket. Even hang out with a life-size P6 Equal Exchange Banana! In true tailgating fashion, our deli kitchen is offering a P6 lunch from our patio grill, featuring Wisconsin Meadows grass-fed burgers.
P6 Producers in Attendance:
- Austin’s Rush Creek Farm is owned and operated by Brian and Carolyn Austin in Ferryville, Wisconsin. They produce a wide variety of pickles and jams in their on farm commercial kitchen using produce grown on their farm.
- Deep Rooted Organics is a certified organic farm and greenhouse, owned and operated by Tiffany Cade and Jimmy Fackert outside of Viroqua in Westby, Wisconsin. They specialize in growing organic slicer and cherry tomatoes.
- Driftless Brewing Company is owned and operated by Michael Varnes-Epstein and Christopher Balistreri in Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin. They aim to make a wide variety of craft beers using as many local ingredients as possible.
- Equal Exchange is a worker-owned cooperative that is based in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts. Through their business, they build long-term trade partnerships that are economically just and environmentally sound to foster mutually beneficial relationships between farmers and consumers. They offer a variety of organic fair trade products, including coffee, tea, bananas, avocados, chocolate, candy bars and more.
- Maple Valley is the name brand of the Organic Maple Cooperative based in Cashton, Wisconsin. They focus on producing and distributing delicious certified organic 100% pure maple syrup. The Co-op was formed in 2007 an features a unique multi-stakeholder membership of farmers, customers, employees, vendors and distributors.
- McCluskey Brothers Organic Farms is a small, diversified, certified organic farm, owned and operated by Patrick McCluskey in Hillpoint, Wisconsin. They produce a variety of 100% grass-fed organic cheeses that we offer at VFC.
- Nami Chips is owned and operated by Nami Culter of La Crosse, Wisconsin. She produces raw, gluten free, vegan, dehydrated veggie chips in four delicious flavors: Original, Black Pepper, Tomato Basil and Apple Cinnamon.
- Organic Valley/Organic Prairie is a mission driven farmer-owned cooperative based out of La Farge, Wisconsin. They produce a variety of certified organic dairy products, produce, meats and soy products.
- Simply Bee Natural is owned and operated by Bonnie Kreckow in Winona, Minnesota. She is a clinical herbalist who produces a variety of herbal remedies and body care using recipes developed through years of experience.
- Seed Savers Exchange is dedicated to preserving and promoting America’s culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations through seed saving. They are located in Decorah, Iowa. Learn more about this inspiring non-profit here.
- Wisconsin Meadows is the brand of the Wisconsin Grass-fed Beef Cooperative. Their over 130 farmer-members around Wisconsin raise cattle that are rotationally grazed and fed a 100% forage diet free of grain, antibiotics and hormones.
- Wisco Pop is locally owned and operated by Austin and Hallie Ashley and Zac Mathes in Viroqua, Wisconsin. They produce craft brewed soda pop in three flavors: Root Beer, Ginger and Cherry. Their sodas feature locally produced sweeteners (honey and maple syrup) and fresh organic juices.
Tags: Principle Six
This winter Viroqua Food Co-op is excited to offer a number of opportunities for our community to learn more about the impact of sugar in our society, cooperatives, and GMOs! During the next three months, we’re hosting FREE public screenings of three important documentaries at The Ark, 401 E. Jefferson Street, in Viroqua. We welcome you and your loved ones to join us to view the films while enjoying organic popcorn provided by VFC.Read More